September 27, 2010

Secret Garden In Philadelphia - Bartram's Garden

Philadelphia blessed us with gorgeous weather this weekend so E.W. and I picked up our lazy butts and took a trip to Bartram's Garden.

I nicknamed it "forest in the hood" coz it was this beautiful plot of land located in one of the worst neighborhoods in Philly. You have to drive through the ghetto AND the projects just to get there.

A little history on the garden...

John Bartram was one of our nation's great naturalists. During the 1700's he collected, cataloged and cultivated native plant specimens from the eastern United States. 45 acres- about half of Bartrams original estate has been preserved as a botanical garden of native plants and his home as a museum.

And best of all..you can visit any day for FREE! So now you have no excuse to get your lazy butt off the couch and take a visit to America's oldest living botanical garden.

Bartram's Gardens is easily one of Philly's best kept secrets because not many people know of it.

When you first arrive you are greeted by this really old building. There was a wedding going on so we couldn't go in but from what I saw, it was completely renovated inside.

A wedding there would be nice but too naturey for me. There were seriously like 18,000 bumble bees and 20,000 squirrels running and flying around. If I was the couple, I would have decorated the chairs with flowers to match the garden.

And I wasn't kidding about the damn squirrels and bees. There were so effin many that they were super easy to capture on the cam..didn't even have to search for them!

This next photo looks just like a normal photo right...


LOOK AGAIN...

See that greedy little fucker with the huge nut in his mouth? Isn't it crazy how squirrels are sooo cute and tiny but can totally fuck you up if you get too close.

This next shot is of another greedy little fucker with his whole face planted inside a flower's you know what.

That was the only bee plant I would get close enough to take a photo of because the other ones were just infested with them. Like 50 bees to a bush.

I think the gardens make and sell their own honey which explains the bee orgy.

---------------------------------------------------

As we got closer to the Schuylkill River there were some cool rock formations for us to explore. E.W. captured this crazy ballet photo of me. How does he always get the most perfect shot on the first try???

I'm surprised my arabesques are still that high since I quit ballet almost 6 years ago. Look how perfect my supporting arch is :)

Although I do have some critiques, the bottom foot's heel should be facing the camera, my hips are not aligned correctly, and neither are my shoulders. But who cares! I'm still good.


I was really enjoying myself on the rocks with the beautiful views of the city...

When I saw this :(

What really disgusts me most about cigarette litterers is that I used to be one of them. Back when I used to smoke I wouldn't think twice where I threw my used cig, but after quitting my views have seriously changed.

I wish someone would just drop one in front of me so I can say something to them. And if they didn't pick it up I would take it and rub the charred black end on their shirt. Would be so satisfying.


Um...this is what it would look like if I were to commit suicide by jumping into a 3 ft. deep river...

*--WARNING--*

All of the upcoming photos are very naturey and planty, so if you are bored by mother nature do not keep reading coz I would be very sad if my blog bored you.

This was a very interesting plant that we found on our hike. It kinda looks like a spikey berry with pomegranite inside. I think if there really was such a thing as a dingleberry THIS is what it would look like.


Some weird looking purple cabbage/lettuce? Looks like it belongs on planet Neptune. Ugh I am probably so off on what these plants really are.


Freakishly large tree. Why is it freakishly large? Because it's freakishly old!


Ummm.. this is what happens when you mate Cranberry and Grape. Where do you think all of that CranGrape juice comes from???


This shot was taken by E.W. and he was so god damn proud of it. I must admit it does look like a pro photog took it. I'll call it the Tiger Sunrise Flower coz that's what it looks like to me.


E.W. saw this fallen tree and immediately started to climb it. Only when he got to the top did he say "I might be too old to climb this now". Yes babe, leave the climbing to 10 year olds that are immune to getting hurt.

So did I convince you to take a visit to Bartram's? I really hope I did coz we need to keep this little piece of history alive!

I'm planning to go back soon before it gets cold to have a picnic near the river. Too bad no dogs are allowed but I'll find a way to sneak them in :)

Tags: , ,

12 comments:

Alexander Emmert said...

What a fantastic photo essay on one of Philly's least known bastions of natural beauty...Thanks!

Stephen Lombardo said...

Yea you would never think it's right in the middle of the ghetto.

Ted Iannone said...

its so beautiful there this time of year

Bruce Brandle said...

Nice pics. but I don't think that was a cig. butt. lol.

Kari @ Mommy's Fabulous Finds said...

Great pictures. I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Hope you can stop by and visit my blog.

Have a great day!

Kari
http://shining2save.com

Unknown said...

Hi there! Cute blog! I am following you from Tuesday Follow. Please stop by my blog, thanks!
Alissia
http://tips4green.blogspot.com

Kelly Lund and Kids said...

Love your Blog! You are gorgeous Girl! Following you from Welcome Wednesday... The Secret Garden look so beautiful... Love the black bean turkey chili mmmm mmm and your little dog is just adorable!
Happy Wednesday


Kelly from kellylundkids.blogspot.com

Crystal said...

You are beautiful-kinds makes me want to hate you a little bit. But I read your posts-and I did peg you wrong. I loved your post "if you only knew me". That was very brave to put that out there. One for me: if you really knew me...you would know that I'm afraid to really, really let my hubby just love me unconditionally, for all that I am and all that I am not.

I am now following you-found you on the Weird Me blog hop.

Crystal
http://survivingandthrivinginmom-dom.blogspot.com

Jessi S. said...

Great photos, love the one of you dancing.

I follow you on GFC and Facebook.

Jessi's Bubble
http://www.jessisbubble.com

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Jessis-Bubble/128537457195722?ref=sgm

Design It Chic said...

I am now following you thanks to Making Friends Monday, and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog;)
Also don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic or easy blog design tips, you know where to come!
Today we teach another one of our easy HTML tutorials, so make sure you don't miss it! Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace sandro

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Bookmarking