September 23, 2010

My Black Bean Turkey Chili

I had the worst craving for chili yesterday and decided to cook some for the first time. I was a little terrified because I've never made any chili or soup of any kind so it was a learning experience for me.

What I did find out was chili is EXTREMELY easy to make. Seriously, all you do is throw a bunch of stuff into a big pot, let it boil for a long time, and you get deliciousness in return.

I had a really dumb moment trying to find a recipe by typing in "chile" and all I got were these images.


NOT FOOD!!
And it took me like 5 whole minutes to figure out I was typing in the country and not the food. Although, now I really want to visit Chile, it looks breathtaking! Can you imagine hang gliding off of those mountains?

Ok so back to the food. Here is are my now famous Black Bean & Turkey Chili.

Let's Begin...

The ingredient list is pretty lengthy for chili but the recipe is a piece of cake. Trust me.

You will need:


  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 3/4 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1 can spicy diced tomatoes
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
  • sour cream
  • white rice
First, heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and garlic powder. Cook until turkey is well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat.


Stir the broth, diced and crushed tomatoes, sugar, beans and corn into the saucepan. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.


Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir the chili occasionally while cooking. Pour into bowl and you get this! Don't eat yet though!


You will also need some white rice as the bed of your chili. It will sop up all of the yummy sauce so none goes to waste.


Pour the chili over the white rice and add toppings if you please. I suggest a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese.


It's as simple as that! I think that's the quickest recipe ever. I highly suggest using very lean ground turkey and not beef. Unless you want a heart attack when you're 50.

Ground beef is not even allowed in my house because why use beef when you have a healthy alternative that tastes EXACTLY the same?

ALL DONE :)


Let me know if you tried the recipe and what you think of it :)

Now for some random pics that I took this week that I didn't have a chance to post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

London being a bug-eyed cutie pie.


London channeling his inner Medusa.


Sunglasses reflecting rays in my window.


My favorite shoes at the moment. Glitter Steve Madden heels.


One more thing before I go, thank you for all of the emails I received about my last post "If You Really Knew Me". I'm glad I touched some of you and hope it inspired you to get in touch with your inner selves as well.

Tags: , ,

5 comments:

Jason Eschen said...

I'll dive head first into that bowl ! ; P That looks Bangin' Jules.

Stephen Olitsky said...

Chili cook off!!! My venison chili is world renowned....

Jewelz said...

bring it :)

Kristin said...

I'm your newest follower!! (and I'm making this chili!)

Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

Rhe Christine said...

ummm, this is amazing!! I wrote it down and this is on next week's menu! thanks for sharing your awesomeness ;)

PS: found on the weekend follow on Graphic Design by Tara!

Bookmarking