December 07, 2010

Photo Makeovers

I was stumbling around the internet as I usually do in times of boredness, and stumbled onto something called HDR photo technique. I immediately thought HDR stood for hi-def resolution but I was wrong.

HDR turned out to be "high dynamic range" photography and it is so so so cool! I cannot stress enough how cool it is. Maybe it's just extra cool to me coz I'm a photography and Photoshop geek, but this technique will inevitably change the way I take photos.

FOREVER!!

HDR is the technique of taking 3 photos of the same subject... One photo correctly exposed, one over-exposed and one under-exposed, and merging them into one photograph. This essentially creates an intense dreamlike image by allowing a greater dynamic range of luminance between the lightest and darkest areas of the image.

After learning this technique I became angry..WTF I could have been making my already awesome photos even cooler the whole time. Now I have to go back and re-edit all of my old photos which will take years to do coz I have something like 10,000 photos on my comp.

Why must I learn about such cool things so late? Now I'm paranoid that there are other awesome things that I'm missing out on.

I decided to take a few pics from my recent Amsterdam, Greece & Paris trips and HDRize them. I obviously can't do the actual manual technique with my old photos but I can achieve a very similar effect with Photoshop.

To see what the photos looked like before I masterfully HDRized them...

hold your mouse over the image to see before & after.



Landscape view of Athens. Now you can see the real beauty of what I saw.



Inside the Acropolis



My first view of Paris.



Pigeons take flight in the heart of Amsterdam.



Sunset at the bay in Margate, NJ.



Walking the plank at Bartram's Gardens in Philly.


The vibrant sunset that E.W. was trying to capture can finally be seen in all its glory.

***************************************************************

So if you start wondering why the photos on my blog have suddenly become more magical...you know why!!

Of course I'm not going to do it to every photo because it takes too damn long and I'm lazy.


Tags: , ,

8 comments:

Miriam said...

Thanks for the picture taking advice! I'm following you from Welcome Wednesday. Please follow me back at Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

Wow, what a cool technique!!

Hi, I'm a new follower - I found you on homegrownfamilies. I have a food blog that is geared towards making healthy and fun kids lunches, and I'm a Blogger.com 'Blog of Note'. I hope you'll follow me back -

http://bentobloggy.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

Tim Robertson said...

Good job with those! They look great!

ChicSassyMom said...

Hi! I'm your new follower! Wow, the photos look amazing. You surely are very gifted at photography! :-) Hmm I wish I can do the same with mine..

Would ❤ to hear from you too...

Chic & Sassy Homemaker
http://chicsassymom.blogspot.com

Show Me Mama said...

Those pictures are awesome. I traveled to Europe quite a bit and my family lives in Amsterdam and you really took some great pics. Thanks for sharing. I am your new follower by the way and you can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

Have a great weekend
ShowMeMama

Grace Matthews said...

That is awesome!

Fellow Blog Hopper:)

Jenny said...

Great pics!

Found you on the blog hop! I'm your newest follower! http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/
Love your blog!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Nice to meet you. I'm from the blog hop. You have a fun blog.
http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

Bookmarking